Thursday, February 22, 2007


As I sit in a coffee shop in West Salem, my mental agenda is constantly interrupted by a very loud group of high schoolers "studying." Really, it's just the girl that is the really loud, the two guys aren't all that loud. Overhearing bits and pieces of their conversation, I hear them arguing over the validity of Christianity. One of the guys is fighting alone and attempting to defend Christianity. The girl and other guy are clearly on the other side of the coin, almost laughing at him for believing what he does. The two are attacking the historical accuracy by discussing the canonization of Scripture, the Council of Nicea, and other events that, to them, "clearly didn't happen," or "were simply events manipulated by the leaders at the time." They even brought up sad, yet true, events such as the Crusades or the Spanish Inquisition.

I don't bring this up to say, "Oh, children, your zeal is admirable but you are still wrong," because in many ways I've had (and still have) my own questions and criticisms.

The reason I bring it up is because it has caused me to flash back to high school. Many times I found myself in the place of this lone guy, the one "defending" his faith. Many times my friends tried to "attack" the history (or the science) of Christianity in an attempt to get me to open my eyes and realize how ridiculous it all is. Those were hard situations to go through, but I'm better for it. And even if there are still questions and doubts, I've always been able to fall back on the sometimes incomprehensible thing that is ... faith.

I just hope that as hard as that conversation may be for that guy, faith may override the confusion that is going on inside his mind. May God shine through that confusion and tug on his heart in a way that trumps all logic. May God also tug on the hearts of the two who disagree so strongly. I pray that despite all their self-assurance and logical "superiority," may God still find a time to speak to them, to be revealed to them.

Thanks God, that I've had to go through hard situations like the one I encountered today, and thank you that there are more situations like that to come.

No comments: