Friday, June 8, 2007

One of the most impacting books for me has been "Mountains Beyond Mountains" by Tracy Kidder. In it he tells the story of a Harvard professor and doctor who works to alleviate the poverty and injustice in Haiti. It's a pretty gripping story about the passion the doctor, Paul Farmer, has for the work he does. At times he even comes across a bit insane or over-committed. Nonetheless as a reader you are totally moved by the devotion this guy has to a cause.

Tonight I came across an interview with him and on it he challenges the viewers to keep fighting against the injustice of the world. Wherever you are, however you want to do it, it doesn't matter, just do it, he says. I used to read books about him and others fighting for equality and justice and would get idealistically fired up and then subsequently depressed. The angst of not feeling like I could get out and do anything about it would get to me. Even to the point that I would give up and almost become purposefully self-focused, as to validate my experience "here" since I wasn't able to affect change "there."

With the prospect of our new adventure on the horizon I'm getting excited to be able to journey with others who desperately want to see the world change as I do. I'm excited to be in a place together for a year dreaming about the potential and learning about the nitty-gritty.

1 comment:

Jeremy Bassett said...

Hey man,
www.jerbasscorner.blogspot.com

Good to see ya!
Jer