Thursday, October 25, 2007

As I it here in the local library (which I have to say is very nice and is the busiest public library I've ever been to... I think it's my new study spot) I thought I'd send out an update to the airwaves.

School has been good and challenging lately. We've been wrestling with many issues in all of our classes. We've been looking at the role of government and globalization in the process of development. Is free market capitalism the best way to go, or is some governmental intervention appropriate? Reading "The World is Flat" helped show the benefits of globalization and outsourcing. Even though those of us in the Northwest and Quakerdom tend to protest those practices it was good to see there is some (however small) good that can come from it.

Through "For the Common Good" we looked at refraining the way we go about economics to be more aware of community and sustainability. We were challenged to think about simple living as a way to be other-centered. I really appreciated this book because it advocated simplicity, community, and sustainability from a very academic and technical standpoint. Often the argument for simplicity has no legs (economically speaking) and therefore gets disregarded quickly.

Things in my classes are gearing up a bit since the end of the semester projects are starting to loom their ugly heads. I have to do a comprehensive research project on an impoverished country of our choosing (I chose Peru). We also have to write an ethnograghy (story/biography of a culture of our choosing...mine is still undecided) for our Anthropology course. And finally, we have to do a financial case study on a non-profit organization of our choosing.

I'm excited for these projects (because I'm a nerd) but I'm also anxious because it will all be a lot of work.

I've had plenty I've wanted to talk about over the past few weeks but haven't found the time. So I thought at least a school update was in order.

No comments: