Friday, February 15, 2008

Book Reading Meme

Wess tagged me for one of the better memes I've seen, or maybe I'm just a nerd and I like books too much. I am supposed to write out a quote from the book nearest to me. I have had a giant stack of books on my desk having to do with my research on Cuba. The book at the bottom of the pile, and therefore closest to me, is: The Politics of Trade in Latin American Development, by Steven E. Sanderson.




The rules of this meme are as follows:

1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. No cheating!
2. Find page 123
3. Find the first 5 sentences
4. Post the next 3 sentences
5. Tag 5 people


Currently some participants in the U.S. sugar quota, though protesting the protectionist disposition of the quota itself, realize that in a declining international market for sugar ,in which prices have been subject historically to wild fluctuations and have been quite low and unstable over much of the post-Depression period, the U.S. sugar quota offers a certain protection against the uncompromising marketplace. This situation has in common with bilateral dependence without a preference system the necessity for the smaller country to negotiate from weakness better treatment by the greater power. From the standpoint of national pride and autonomy of economic decision-making, this is an unattractive condition.


Sanderson, The Politics of Trade in Latin American Development, 123

I tag:

Gregg
Cherice
Jamie
Amy
Jason

2 comments:

Gregg Koskela said...

Tag accepted!! :)

jrjohnson said...

Michael,

I accepted, and posted. Thanks for thinking of me!